Jeremy Hunt, with his little boy haircut and elfin smirk, reminds one of the younger Tony Bliar in his Bambi stage and both are wedded to neo-liberal economics and gradual privatisation of the NHS.
Hunts’s record since 2010:
- 8,300 fewer specialist nurses,
- 8,549 fewer hospital beds,
- 61 ambulance stations closed,
- 16 per cent of A&Es closed or down-graded, and waits over 4 hours at 10-year high,
- 9 per cent funding cut per patient planned 2010 to 2019,
- £16 billion of NHS contracts tendered to private firms,
- Small wonder £20 million of Tory donations are from private health firms,
- 40,000 shortfall in nurses,
- 6,000 shortfall in doctors,
- Impending crisis in GP provision largely ignored,
- Continued reliance on importing nurses and doctors and gawd ‘elp us after BREXIT,
- Fewer doctors in relation to population than other G7 nations,
- Bursaries for trainee nurses and midwives ended,
- First-ever strike of hospital doctors provoked.
And still they claim the NHS is safe in their hands.